Recent high profile fraud cases involving commodity financing highlights the challenges faced by financial institutions in financing commodity trades. Given the diversity, complexity and substantial size of commodity trades, professionals involved in the commodity trading and financing value chain need to possess specialised knowledge to manage their risk exposures and avoid huge losses.
Facilitated by industry veterans, the SMU Executive Certificate in Structured Trade & Commodity Finance course adopts a case-study learning approach to share practical insights on market nuances, pitfalls, risk mitigation and controls.
Coverage includes the financing of oil, metal and agricultural products using structures such as shipment sales, pre-payment, pre-export, receivables, warehouse receipts and tolling. Participants will learn to identify and assess potential risks, formulate mitigation and be cognizant of the legal environment and documentary requirements.
The certification course consists of 6 modules. Classes are delivered using a combination of lectures and case discussions to drive home key learning points. Participants will need to complete a take-home case assignment at the end of the course. Candidates who have successfully passed all assessments will be awarded the SMU Executive Certificate in Structured Trade & Commodity Finance.
This is an advanced level course. Participants are required to have a good working knowledge of traditional trade financing such as Incoterms, trade documentations, documentary collection/credit and trade financing instruments such as bills of exchange, letters of credit, demand guarantees etc. Admission to the programme is subject to approval.
- Understand the nuances and challenges of financing commodities
- Differentiate between traditional and structured trade financing techniques
- Know the core financing techniques (Shipment sales, prepayment, pre-export, warehouse receipt, tolling)
- Learn about commodity repo, trade credit insurance & securitization
- Gain insights from industry veterans on useful tips and painful pitfalls
- Internalize learning through hands-on case assignment
Who should attend
- Senior management in corporate lending looking into structured trade finance business
- Relationship managers and bankers who advise trading and commodity companies
- Trade finance specialist, account/marketing managers engaged in structuring trade financing deals
- Commodity traders who are keen to learn the financing aspects of commodity trades
- Corporate treasurers, finance directors in trading and commodity companies
- Professionals in middle office functions such as credit, risk, audit and operations, responsible for ensuring proper execution, management and financing of commodity trades
Last updated on 25 Mar 2018 .