The SMU Executive Certificate in Commercial Banking (IBF Level 1) is specially designed for entry level hires and professionals with up to 3 years’ experience in corporate banking. Benchmarked to industry best practices under the IBF Standards, this course aims to provide a structured training roadmap to acquire critical knowledge and competencies in commercial lending to corporate clients.
Curriculum focuses on fundamental banking knowledge, including principles of commercial banking, features and applications of core corporate banking products, credit evaluation framework and loan documentation. Participants will learn to structure credit facilities that meet clients’ needs, apply adequate security, credit support and/or covenants to protect the bank’s interest. Practical aspects of client prospecting, wallet-sizing and identifying opportunities for cross-selling will be discussed.
Learn the principles of commercial banking
Differentiate features and applications of corporate banking products and services
Know the relevant corporate banking laws, industry guidelines and practices
Identify prospective clients through market research
Understand credit evaluation framework and process
Assess credit worthiness of clients
Detect early warning signs and triggers to loan default
Structure credit facilities to meet clients’ financing needs
Apply securities and covenants to mitigate lending risks
Perform wallet sizing to identify cross-selling opportunities
Who should attend
- New hires, management associates supporting the corporate banking functions in either client facing, credit analysis or operational support roles
- Relationship managers and credit analysts keen to be certified via structured training
- Trade finance, cash management, credit administration personnel who require deeper understanding of the corporate lending function
- Banking professionals supporting the corporate banking department such as legal and compliance, IT, risk and audit
- Aspiring individuals who are keen to pursue a career in the corporate banking industry
About IBF Certification for Level 1 Programmes
Last updated on 21 Jul 2016 .